Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The End of a Season.

So the end of the season is drawing near.  Only two more races to go, the San Diego Triathlon Classic and the Mission Bay Sprint Triathlon.  So with the season ending I guess it is time to reflect a little and ask myself, “Was this a successful Triathlon season?”  I finished last year on a rough note.  Two days before my final race of the year I was in a bad cycling accident where I fractured my orbital bone and injured my hamstring.  I still raced and actually set a 5k PR that day but the damage was done in that accident and I still have nerve damage to prove it. 

Going into the 2010 season I had set out with two real goals in mind; to get on the podium as a Clydesdale and to shave a solid 30 minutes off my Half Ironman time.  My off season training was solid thanks to the NCC Challenge put on by USAT.  I logged more miles swimming, biking, and running in the off season than I ever had and I went into my first race of 2010 feeling pretty good about myself.  The Tritonman was a good test for my fitness and a great sounding board to see where I was compared to last year, since it was also my first race in 2009.  Finishing the race I knew my training was on track since I set a course PR of 10 minutes and placing 11th in my AG. 

After Tritonman I moved into the meat and potatoes of the year.  The season totaled two Half Ironman triathlons, two Olympic distance tri’s, six Sprints, and one Half Marathon, this of course doesn’t include all the amazing Tri Club of San Diego triathlons and aquathons that got thrown in just for shits and giggles.  So did I reach my goals for the year?  Did I make it to the podium?  Did I shave a half hour off my HIM time?  Yes, I did.  With two races to go I have accumulated a total of six podium finishes this year, four second place, and two third.  As for my Half Ironman time I destroyed my HIM PR by 45 minutes, and I even set a Half Marathon PR by ten minutes this year!

Still, I am not sure how I feel about this season.  There were some things that let me down.  For instance I never took a first place finish as a Clydesdale, but on the other hand my times were good enough to put me in the top three at six races as a Clydesdale and would have placed me in the top ten as an age grouper on several occasions.  I cannot really complain there I suppose.  As a secondary goal I really wanted to hit the five hour mark at a Half Ironman.  This chance was taken from me by a dam bursting at Tempe Town Lake. 

I achieved every goal that I set for myself this season and even went beyond.  I don’t know why but that doesn’t feel as though I was successful.  Many people would say I am a crazy over achiever, PR’s left and right, podium finishes, and I even picked up an amazing sponsor in Synergy Sports and Gray Cycling.  So I guess I am just going to say thank you to the triathlon gods and be thankful.

Looking to next year what do I want to do?  Well my goals for this coming year are just as loft as last year.  I plan on leaving the world of Clydesdale and up the stakes as an age grouper, hoping to consistently place in the top ten in the 30-34 bracket and I am dedicating this season to qualifying for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater, Florida.  How do I plan on doing this?  Well dropping a few pounds will be necessary; shaving another 45 minutes off my HIM PR is going to happen as well.  This off season I will be focusing on my run and really bringing it down, training more scientifically on the bike by using a power meter and staying consistent with my day to day training.  I know I am an underdog in this sport, but I have been counted out before.  I have been told that I would never be sponsored, and that I would never accomplish anything in this sport.  Well, I have already proven the nay sayers wrong and I will continue to do so in 2011.  Just watch me!

1 comment: